- A bus was petrol bombed in an early morning attack.
- This follows attacks on a Dial-A-Ride transport service for hospital patients.
- There have also been attacks on Eskom repair vehicles, which led to services being withdrawn from large parts of Khayelitsha.
A commuter bus was gutted in a petrol bomb attack before dawn in Mfuleni Cape Town on Wednesday.
Golden Arrow Bus Services spokesperson Bronwen Dyke-Beyer told News24 the incident took place at around 06:10 on Wednesday in Mfuleni.
The bus was about to take commuters on board, but had been empty when the attackers struck.
A petrol bomb was launched at the bus from the rear and the vehicle was subsequently gutted. The only person on board, the driver, escaped unharmed.
“He is being treated for shock. We condemn this attack in the strongest possible terms,” Dyke-Beyer said. “We are trying to deliver an essential service.”
The bus service had no indication yet as to what may have motivated the attack and was monitoring the area for any violent incidents in order to manage its operational plans. As at 09:30, all services remained in place.
Angus McKenzie, chairperson of the City of Cape Town’s Special Transport Portfolio Committee, said: “As Transport PC chair, I am horrified by this barbaric behaviour.”
He referred to the recent attack on a Dial-A-Ride bus, and alleged “it is very clear that the intention of protesters are fowl (sic) and intended to create havoc and destruction”.
“These are critical services that are rendered to the most vulnerable in our society that are being destroyed by these individuals, these actions must be condemned in the strongest possible terms, these actions are tantamount to terrorism and a crime against the overwhelming law-abiding people of this city (sic). We call on SAPS to swiftly and strongly act against these individuals but also appeal to the community to stand up against these thugs,” McKenzie said.